[gothic-l] Re: Goths, Gauti, Goetaland, Gotland

einarbirg einarbirg at YAHOO.COM
Tue Jun 11 15:34:51 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., Tore Gannholm <tore.gannholm at s...> wrote:
> >--- In gothic-l at y..., "Bertil Haggman" <mvk575b at t...> wrote:
> >>  _The Role of Migration in the History of the
> >  > Eurasian Steppe - Sedentary Civilization vs. -
> >>  'Barbarian' and Nomad, (ed. Andrew Bell-Fialkoff),
> >>  London: Macmillan, 2000, 355 pp.
> >>  ______________________________________

 #######  Hæ Tore.

> Einar,
> You are right in one way. However we are talking about different
> millennia. In the late Vendel period early Viking age it is very
> different. I still maintain that the prelude to the Viking age is
the
> immigration of the Heruls to Lake Mälar area and their expansion in
> the Baltic with Gotlandic and Svear colonies in present day Baltic
> states and later on into the Russian river system and to Norway,
> British isles-Island.

#### I agree with your main points.But the situation was more complex.
#####

> Bertil is talking about the Bronze age and the Roman Iron age.
>
> If you have read Anders Kaliffs book "Gothis Connections" you can
see
> that there was a common culture in present day Poland, Gotland and
> some coastal areas of eastern Sweden.
> This is how it looked like when the Wielbark culture was formed.
The
> claim by many is that the Wielbark culture was an indigenous formed
> culture will therefore include Gotland and some coastal areas of
> eastern Sweden.

#####Nothing comes from nothing. I dont belief that the Wielbark
culture was formed and sustained like out of the blue air without
cultural influences from other areas.So i agree,mainly####

> There was probably much movement within this cultural area. It
looks
> very much like the Gotlandic merchants were very influential and
> probably dominated the amber trade. We have archaeological proof
for
> Gotlandic trading colonies from the Bronze age and forward in this
> cultural area. Why some continental scholars are so much against
> Gotlandic involvement I don't know.

#### I dont know either. Very probably the role of Gotland has been
underestimated. Same could be the case with other islands in the
Baltic. Though Gotland is biggest and in the middle so to say###

> Just look at what we dig out from the earth every year.
> Just now they are showing parts of the "Spilling viking treasure"
at
> the Historical museum in Stockholm, the largest viking silver
> treasure found in the world.

####Yes,the role of Gotland has probably been underestimated###

Cheers Einar
> Tore
> --

Will You Find True Love?