[gothic-l] Re: Goths, Gauti, Goetaland, Gotland

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Sat Jun 22 20:58:45 UTC 2002

>Tore wrote: "I still maintain that the prelude to the Viking age is
>the
>>  immigration of the Heruls to Lake Mälar area and their expansion in
>>  the Baltic with Gotlandic and Svear colonies in present day Baltic
>>  states and later on into the Russian river system and to Norway,
>>  British isles-Island."
>
>Hail Tore!
>  I am completely facsinated by the possible (H)erul expansion and
>settlement into the areas that you mention, especially Iceland.
>Rather than read through the many postings regarding this issue, I
>shall ask the following, what are your principal sources, from what
>geographical point(s) do you see them eminating from?  And what
>information is there to point to the (H)eruls movement to Iceland?
>
>Odhvaknir

Hi!

I never indicated that the Heruls moved to Iceland. This is something
that Einar  Birgisson has brought up. You have to ask him for his
sources.

I have only stated that there is an immigration of a ruling class to
the Lake Mälar area beginning 6th century. Later that century the
rulers of the Lake Mälar area together with the Gotlanders
established colonies on the East coast of the Baltic. Excavations in
Grobin, Apuole and Elbing.
In the 9th century they extended their travels to the Russian rivers
and we find large Scandinavian gravefields.

Tore

Free $5 Love Reading
Risk Free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/3PCXaC/PfREAA/Ey.GAA/wWMplB/TM