[gothic-l] Re: Eruli: Etymology and Scandinavia V

xigung keth at ONLINE.NO
Mon Mar 4 13:34:11 UTC 2002

Sorry, Bertil, it was you who proposed
Swedish runic inscriptions with initial H
as evidence for Scandinavian Heruls, not me.

--- In gothic-l at y..., "Bertil Haggman" <mvk575b at t...> wrote:
> Keth,
>
> Always welcome your great insights. Taylor,
> as I mentioned at some length last year is
> in full support of the Eruli solution. H is inorganic;
> otherwise we would expect to find Latin forms
> in Ch-. which do not occur.

That would be like the Russian H (a throat H).
At some point the throat-H must have disappeared from
Germanic, though, because it is gone now.
Perhaps we can check the sources on this point a bit.

I agree with you that "inorganic" is a good description
of the modern Swedish H, especially when compared to
the throat H. How do you suppose the ancient Greeks
pronounced Herakles, Helios and Hellas?

e-mailically
Keth

Buy Stock for $4.