[gothic-l] Re: ZDF Program on the Goths

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Mon Mar 11 10:51:09 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., "Bertil Haggman" <mvk575b at t...> wrote:
> In my opinion it is not likely any "truth" will be found
> but it is clear that the likelihood of Scandinavian origin
> is a view held by a majority of earlier and present
> researchers.

That is wrong, as real experts on this list have tried to tell you
all too often. Why don't you just read the relevant literature? It
always takes some time before  new findings make their way into
popular science and it is clearly popular science that you are now
relying on.

Very much liked the way the migration
> from Scandza was portrayed in the program. Also the
> clear indication of boat grave influence in Poland,
> where archaeologists have found a Gothic woman buried
> in a cermonial boat. The Polish arcaelogist in situ
> thought it was a reflection on the passing on the Baltic Sea
> of the Goths under King Berig and the Gepids.

Yes, why don't you read the relevant archaeological studies on the
boat burials in that area? Bierbrauer is treating them in great
detail and he shows that they can have nothing to do with the origin
of the Goths since they appear only from the late 1st, early 2nd
century.

> Also the depiction of the Goteburgen on Crimea were
> fascinating.

Can you expand on the 'Goteburgen' please. This sounds like Mangup,
yet all buildings there are Greek/Byzantine ...

> Maybe you can find som "truth" scholars who are willing
> and have financing to produce there own program?

It takes time for popular science to adapt the findings of real
scholarships. The latest entry in the Brockhaus on the Goths already
statet that research nowadays rejects the theory that they came from
Scandinavia, and future programme makers will surely go the same way.

> Think you must had a very bad day on Sunday.

I had an excellent Sunday! ;-)

Dirk

> Bertil Haggman
>
> > Greater satisfaction can be derived from the findings of real
> > experts, who -no doubt- are nearer the truth by rejecting a
> > Scandinavian origin of the Goths (in fact conclusively proving
it!).
> > But since when were you interested in the truth? ;-)

Access Your PC from Anywhere
It's Easy. It's Fun. - Free Download.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/BxtVhB/7XkDAA/_ZuFAA/wWMplB/TM