[gothic-l] Re: ZDF Program on the Goths

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Mon Mar 11 13:09:31 UTC 2002

>It takes time for popular science to adapt the findings of real
>scholarships. The latest entry in the Brockhaus on the Goths already
>statet that research nowadays rejects the theory that they came from
>Scandinavia, and future programme makers will surely go the same way.

Dirk,

Your statement is not quite correct. I think it should be "research
nowadays have modified the theory that they came from Scandinavia"

As we earlier have discussed on this forum there was a common culture
in northern Poland, Gotland and coastal areas of southern Sweden in
the centuries before the forming of what we today call the Wielbark
culture.
We don't know who dominated that culture. There is clear evidence
that there was movements in both directions between Gotland and that
area. Further the Wielbark culture was formed by the people at time
time living in northern Poland.

However, nothing in your German sources contradicts this fact.
Anders Kaliff's summing up of this "pregothic" culture in "Gothic
connections" is a fair statement of todays research.

Tore

>>  Think you must had a very bad day on Sunday.
>

>I had an excellent Sunday! ;-)
>
>Dirk

Access Your PC from Anywhere
Check Email & Transfer files - Free Download
http://us.click.yahoo.com/NxtVhB/3XkDAA/_ZuFAA/wWMplB/TM