[gothic-l] Re: ZDF Program on the Goths

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Tue Mar 12 16:38:24 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., Tore Gannholm <tore.gannholm at s...> wrote:

> >It takes time for popular science to adapt the findings of real
> >scholarships. The latest entry in the Brockhaus on the Goths
already
> >statet that research nowadays rejects the theory that they came
from
> >Scandinavia, and future programme makers will surely go the same
way.

> Dirk,
>
> Your statement is not quite correct. I think it should be "research
> nowadays have modified the theory that they came from Scandinavia"
>
> As we earlier have discussed on this forum there was a common
culture
> in northern Poland, Gotland and coastal areas of southern Sweden in
> the centuries before the forming of what we today call the Wielbark
> culture.

Tore,

that simply cannot be correct, or are you arguing that the Okcywie
culture was also present in Scandinavia? To give you the answer - it
was not and it has nothing to do with any Scandinavian culture or
region. Thus the Wielbark culture, which included the Goths is based
on a culture that is clearly distinct and completely unrelated to any
Scandinavian culture! Surely, contacts existed, but these were
spuradic and alien to the Gothic Wielbark culture (see Bierbrauer on
that)

> We don't know who dominated that culture. There is clear evidence
> that there was movements in both directions between Gotland and
that
> area.

Which is not surprising, but archaeology can show conclusively that
the Goths as a tribe or better and more correctly the Wielbark
culture as an archaeological group and not even the predecessor of
the Wielbark culture came from Gotland or anywhere else in
Scandinavia.

> Further the Wielbark culture was formed by the people at time
> time living in northern Poland.

That is undisputed - the Wielbark culture and the Gothic tribe formed
in a clearly defined and identified area of northern Poland and
nowhere else. BTW, even the latest Brockhaus entry on the Goths has
now abandoned the old thesis of a Scandinavian origin of the Goths.

Access Your PC from Anywhere
It's Easy. It's Fast. - Free Download
http://us.click.yahoo.com/AxtVhB/6XkDAA/_ZuFAA/wWMplB/TM