[gothic-l] Re: ZDF Program on the Goths

george knysh gknysh at YAHOO.COM
Wed Mar 13 06:17:28 UTC 2002

--- faltin2001 <dirk at smra.co.uk> wrote:
> >(Tore Ganholm): As we earlier have discussed on
this forum there
> was a common
> culture
> > in northern Poland, Gotland and coastal areas of
> southern Sweden in
> > the centuries before the forming of what we today
> call the Wielbark
> > culture.
>

> Tore,
>
> that simply cannot be correct, or are you arguing
> that the Okcywie
> culture was also present in Scandinavia? To give you
> the answer - it
> was not and it has nothing to do with any
> Scandinavian culture or
> region. Thus the Wielbark culture, which included
> the Goths is based
> on a culture that is clearly distinct and completely
> unrelated to any
> Scandinavian culture! Surely, contacts existed, but
> these were
> spuradic and alien to the Gothic Wielbark culture
> (see Bierbrauer on
> that)

******GK: Poles contend that the etymology of the
place name near Gdynia which gave its name to the
pre-Wielbark Oksywie culture is Old Scandinavian...
Allegedly "OXIHOVED", meaning "ox's head". Can our
Scandinavian list participants verify this?*****

http://mail.yahoo.com/

Access Your PC from Anywhere
Check Email & Transfer files - Free Download
http://us.click.yahoo.com/NxtVhB/3XkDAA/_ZuFAA/wWMplB/TM