[gothic-l] Re: ZDF Program on the Goths

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Wed Mar 13 08:26:19 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., george knysh <gknysh at y...> wrote:

> --- faltin2001 <dirk at s...> wrote:
> > >(Tore Ganholm): As we earlier have discussed on
> this forum there
> > was a common
> > culture
> > > in northern Poland, Gotland and coastal areas of
> > southern Sweden in
> > > the centuries before the forming of what we today
> > call the Wielbark
> > > culture.
> >

> > Tore,
> >
> > that simply cannot be correct, or are you arguing
> > that the Okcywie
> > culture was also present in Scandinavia? To give you
> > the answer - it
> > was not and it has nothing to do with any
> > Scandinavian culture or
> > region. Thus the Wielbark culture, which included
> > the Goths is based
> > on a culture that is clearly distinct and completely
> > unrelated to any
> > Scandinavian culture! Surely, contacts existed, but
> > these were
> > spuradic and alien to the Gothic Wielbark culture
> > (see Bierbrauer on
> > that)
>
> ******GK: Poles contend that the etymology of the
> place name near Gdynia which gave its name to the
> pre-Wielbark Oksywie culture is Old Scandinavian...
> Allegedly "OXIHOVED", meaning "ox's head". Can our
> Scandinavian list participants verify this?*****

Dear George,

you should not fall for such stories. There is no way that a
placename like Oxthoefte goes back 2000 and more years to
Scandinavian immigrants. The second part of the name '-hoeft' does
not mean head, but farm (Hof or Ge-hoeft) in German. Oxhoeft means
simply Oxen farm. The area was settled and cultivated in the 13th
century by Frisians and the placename Ossnhof, Osnhoven still exists
in Frisia.

cheers,

Access Your PC from Anywhere
Full setup in 2 minutes! - Free Download
http://us.click.yahoo.com/MxtVhB/2XkDAA/_ZuFAA/wWMplB/TM