[gothic-l] Here a Goth, There a Goth, everywhere a Goth Goth

Stephen Mark Carey smcarey at ARTSCI.WUSTL.EDU
Mon Mar 11 16:15:25 UTC 2002

-- I'm coming late into this -- could each side provide some bibliographic
reference supporting each position -- for my -- VERY LIMITED --
persepctive --the Nothern Origns of the GOth seems to make most sense
based on the where and when of gothic influence on Old High German --
any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Also, I would be grateful if anyone interested would check out the gothic
section of WEMSK (What Every Medievalist Should Know) -- This is aset of
Bibliographies by James W. Marchand -- and the Gothic section contains old
pblications -- but goodies -- any additions, corrections, comments, or
violent objections welcome.

http://www.artsci.wustl.edu/~smcarey/gothicwemsk.html

Mainpage: http://www.artsci.wustl.edu/~smcarey/WEMSK.html

Steve

Stephen Mark Carey, Ph.D.
Department of German Studies
117 Trimble Hall
Emory University
Atlanta, GA 30322
(404) 727 0820

On Mon, 11 Mar 2002, faltin2001 wrote:

> --- In gothic-l at y..., "Bertil Haggman" <mvk575b at t...> wrote:
> > Dear listmembers,
> >
> > Have just watched the first installment of the
> > German ZDF channel series: Sturm ueber Europa
> > (Storm over Europe). This first program
> > clearly identified Vaestergoetland, Oester-
> > goetland and Gotland as the original home of
> > the Goths. The whole section on the Goths was
> > created around Jordanes _Getica_.
> >
> > Part of the program dealt with the Silver
> > Bible in Uppsala and Lars Munkhammar
> > was interviewed.
> >
> > The program also featured the great
> > catastrophy of Rome in 9 AD (Kalkriese
> > near Osnabrueck).
> >
> > ZDF has produced a book for the series,
> > _Sturm ueber Europa_ and in National Geographic
> > Deutschland is an article about Kalkriese.
> >
> > It is really with great satisfaction one experiences
> > this confirmation in 2002 of the Scandinavian
> > origin of the Goths.
>

> Greater satisfaction can be derived from the findings of real
> experts, who -no doubt- are nearer the truth by rejecting a
> Scandinavian origin of the Goths (in fact conclusively proving it!).
> But since when were you interested in the truth? ;-)
>
> Dirk

Access Your PC from Anywhere
It's Easy. It's Fast. - Free Download
http://us.click.yahoo.com/AxtVhB/6XkDAA/_ZuFAA/wWMplB/TM