[gothic-l] The Gothic Heritage

Bertil Haggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Mon Mar 11 17:44:56 UTC 2002

SMC,

Checked out the link and found it an excellent introduction.
Highly recommendable to beginners and a fine work.
Of course you are correct in assuming a Scandinavian
origin of the Goths. It is the migrational technique that
is differently viewed. Earlier scholarship believed
mainly in mass migration, now there the aspect of smaller
groups crossing the Baltic Sea during centuries.

No objections to the website you mention.

Gothically

Bertil Haggman

> -- I'm coming late into this -- could each side provide some bibliographic
> reference supporting each position -- for my -- VERY LIMITED --
> persepctive --the Nothern Origns of the GOth seems to make most sense
> based on the where and when of gothic influence on Old High German --
> any thoughts greatly appreciated.
>
> Also, I would be grateful if anyone interested would check out the gothic
> section of WEMSK (What Every Medievalist Should Know) -- This is aset of
> Bibliographies by James W. Marchand -- and the Gothic section contains old
> pblications -- but goodies -- any additions, corrections, comments, or
> violent objections welcome.

Access Your PC from Anywhere
Full setup in 2 minutes! - Free Download
http://us.click.yahoo.com/MxtVhB/2XkDAA/_ZuFAA/wWMplB/TM