[gothic-l] The Gothic Migration Epic

Bertil Haggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Wed Mar 13 12:43:31 UTC 2002

In the case of the question of the origin of
the Goths it is highly unlikely that some "truth"
will be uncovered. There is a lot of information.
Some of this comes from some archaelogists.
Their results can only provide a very small
piece of the whole picture. The recent book
_Storm over Europe_ with its extensive
scientific advise is the latest, and most important,
contribution and it is highly unlikely it will be
matched soon. Not a few article in some academic reviews on a
detail of the complicated subject can change that.

The TV series is based on a 400 page book
and it will be a great pleasure for me to
provide the names of the highly qualified
scientist advisers to ZDF. Your general
assumptions and downgradings of this
project are not based on any knowledge,
just assumptions.

Oh, I was refering to one on this list.

"All serious archaelogists". Just throwing around
names is not going to help. Why don't you put up some
of the works of those you are referring to. Seemingly
you have been shocked by the ZDF TV-series
and cannot provide any reliable material to
refute years of research done in preparation
for the ZDF series and the book.

An important part of the TV-series (but surely
also confirmed in the book) is the work of
Hungarians to recreate the images of Goths
from Gothic grave find skulls.

The TV-program related, which of course is natural
in any history of the Goths, the myth of the three
ships bringing Goths and Gepids to Gothiscandza.

The matter of the boat grave in Poland, similar
to the Scandinavian ship graves, has been brought
to attention.

The difference between Gothic and Scandinavian
male graves is that Gothic men were not buried
with weapons.

The program, quite correctly, referred to the extensive
trade going on between Romans and Goths from
Scandinavia to the Mediterranean. Combs were for
instance along with fur a common product Gothic-
Scandinavian export. It is quite natural that the Goths
wanted to trade with their families back in Scandinavia
and the continental Goths most likely provided a link
between the Romans and their home in Scandinavia.

Gothically

Bertil

Access Your PC from Anywhere
It's Easy. It's Fast. - Free Download