[gothic-l] The Gothic Migration Epic

Bertil Haggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Wed Mar 13 13:31:30 UTC 2002

I think it is great that you laud the ZDF series of TV-programs on
the Era of Migration including the migrational history of the
Goths. This program was in the making for several years
and is very well researched. It certainly provides better and
more focused insight and knowledge than a few archaelogists,
who can anyway only provide a very small portion of a research,
that has been ongoing for a very long time. Anyway, they
probably don't know much about archaelogy in Scandinavia.

May I point out that this is not only about four TV-programs.
The research behind is provided in a detailed book that
is enjoying great sales. To make one point, it could
be useful to mention that it was a major in the British army
that found the battleground of the Varus battle. So archaelogy
has it uses but many of the best results are often from non-academic
researchers.

Don't know anything about how your arguments run, but in all
fairness suggest that you have not provided a convincing
argument by presenting a few names of a few archaelogists.
To make convincing case I suggest that you provide the full,
texts. Otherwise there is always the lingering suspicion that
you have only provided the parts that support your position,
a weak one at that, I might add.

Yes, I agree. It is important to read the relevant literature,
but not the irrelevant.

Bertil Haggman

> You answered not one of the questions that I posed and do not even
> provide the names and references of the scholars that you say reject
> 50 years of archaelogical research.
>
> This TV programme as laudible as it might be is certainly not the
> cutting edge of research; TV programmes harly ever are. Also the
> author of that book is not an expert on Gothic history or archaeology
> no matter how well he has consulted the literature.
>
> Do you really think the argument now runs: "The archaeologists like
> Bierbrauer or Blischke,  say that the Goths did not come from
> Scandinavia; This is now refuted by the TV jounralist Arens who
> expressed a different opinion in a recent broadcast." Nothing against
> Arens, but you use your standard practice as usual: the experts who
> disagree with you are nothing but little-known trouble makers, while
> any lay-man is elevated to highest expert status if he happens to
> agree with you. Science does not work like that. Read the real
> literature first and than make an argument.

Access Your PC from Anywhere
It's Easy. It's Fun. - Free Download.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/BxtVhB/7XkDAA/_ZuFAA/wWMplB/TM