[gothic-l] Re: The Language of the Goths

Lada smntpk at PTT.YU
Wed Mar 13 14:34:12 UTC 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: faltin2001 <dirk at smra.co.uk>
To: <gothic-l at yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2002 9:44 AM
Subject: [gothic-l] Re: The Language of the Goths

speakers did not live ther at the time, but the language is infuenced by
Gothic. I am not providing any answers, but the borrowing must be very
early, almost certainly before the common Slavic broke into dialects we now
today. Most slavic languages share hle^bu (e^ is the sound known as Jat,
open e and u is the only way I could represent the velar hypershort jor) and
smoky, gen. smokuve and some more. This one must have been borrowed before
final o^ (long o) became gothic a, and before slavic u^ became
y.Furthermorre the same applies to bouky, boukuve  which is common Slavic.
    So, the influence there was, but I suspect it was later and the contaac
should be more to south and east (which would fall with your Bavarian
influenced by Gothic).
                                      Il Akkad

> You are a member of the Gothic-L list.  To unsubscribe, send a blank email
to <gothic-l-unsubscribe at egroups.com>.

Access Your PC from Anywhere
Check Email & Transfer files - Free Download
http://us.click.yahoo.com/NxtVhB/3XkDAA/_ZuFAA/wWMplB/TM