[gothic-l] Re: The Language of the Goths

Stephen Mark Carey smcarey at ARTSCI.WUSTL.EDU
Wed Mar 13 15:20:58 UTC 2002

> You have get a perspective for the timeframes we are talking about.
> Poles or other Slavs were nowhere to be found in that area 2000 years
> ago. Thus, Polish is of course not influenced by Gothic. Old
> Prussians (Galindians, Natangians, Samians etc.) may have had contact
> with remnents of East Germanic but I am not sure if an influence is
> detectable. Germans arived in the area only in the 12th and 13th
> century. Hence, there is no way that the German in that area was
> influenced by Gothic; it was however strongly influenced by old
> Prussian.

Between the 5th and 8th centuries you have numerous gothic words
undergoing the the High German Shift (Grimm's 2nd Consonant Shift) and
entering the High German Language.) That's something that I guess could be
accounted for by both theories -- what then is the stiking point between
the two theories? What does one prove that the other doesn't? (basic
question -- sorry)

> cheers,
> Dirk

Access Your PC from Anywhere
Full setup in 2 minutes! - Free Download
http://us.click.yahoo.com/MxtVhB/2XkDAA/_ZuFAA/wWMplB/TM