[gothic-l] Re: The Gothic Migration Epic

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Wed Mar 13 16:25:00 UTC 2002

Hi Keth,

yes, I am typing very fast and am not double checking. Appologies for
this tantalising typo!

> > for a certain number of centuries, than originated from
> > somewhere else'. Authochonous for the Wielbark and for
> > the preceeding Okcywie culture means that they did
> > not come from anywhere, but developed locally in the
> > area of modern Pommerania and Silesia. The Jastorf culture
> > is authochonous to the area of modern east Lower Saxony,
> > meaning that its carriers did not come from somwhere else
> > or adopted their culture from somewhere else.
> >
> > Where do you think the Scandinavians, say the modern Swedes or
> > Gotlanders originally came from?
>
> I suppose you, Dirk, would like to say "Germany".

No I would not. Don't try to second-guess others, please if you have
no idea what they mean;-> This retorical question was meant to
emphasise the meaning of autochtonous. Of course they did not come
from Germany. Germany did not even exist at that time.

> But archaeology has revealed a remarkably continuity in material
> culture. There may of course have been some emigrations
> and immigrations, but most likely only occasional small
> numbers.

My point exactly.

> The Germanic language may in fact stem from Scandinavia,
> since such a new language would need a certain incubation
> time, or isolation, in order to develop independently
> of neighboring languages. Probably in Sweden, since this was
> a very rich country with many natural resources - and also
> suitably isolated.

That is possible, but not supported by the recent research of Prof.
Udolph, or Swedish linguists like Dahl and Elert. Udolph has
conducted a major study on the origin of the Germanic language, which
appeared as part of the special editions of Hoop's RGA. Dahl has
written a study on the origin of Scandinavian languages, where he
mainly supports Udolph's finding.  A good summary of the likely
origin of the Germanic language is provided by H. Wolfram in 'Die
Germanen'. A short exerpt can be found under this URL:

http://www.geocities.com/loddfaf/germherk.html

cheers,

Access Your PC from Anywhere
Check Email & Transfer files - Free Download
http://us.click.yahoo.com/NxtVhB/3XkDAA/_ZuFAA/wWMplB/TM