[gothic-l] Re: The Gothic Migration Epic

Stephen Mark Carey smcarey at ARTSCI.WUSTL.EDU
Wed Mar 13 16:25:47 UTC 2002

> The Germanic language may in fact stem from Scandinavia,
> since such a new language would need a certain incubation
> time, or isolation, in order to develop independently
> of neighboring languages. Probably in Sweden, since this was
> a very rich country with many natural resources - and also
> suitably isolated.

Well, yes, if "Sweden" extends further south than the high points of
Aldophus Gustav's conquests. All evidence seems to indicate that Germanic
was a broad phenomenon -- and not to take light of your post -- northern
influences continued, through migratations to affect the development of
German will into the common era -- but what is interesting here is that
the "Gothic" activity -- in terms of language seems to be taking place
further south than Scandavia -- and I now
get the feeling that most on the list are
really discussing Goths who never spoke Gothic.