[gothic-l] Re: The Gothic Migration Epic

xigung keth at ONLINE.NO
Wed Mar 13 17:10:51 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., "faltin2001" <dirk at s...> wrote:

> No I would not. Don't try to second-guess others, please if you have
> no idea what they mean;-> This retorical question was meant to
> emphasise the meaning of autochtonous. Of course they did not come
> from Germany. Germany did not even exist at that time.

I think Germany certainly existed at the time.
In fact, I think it was slightly bigger than it
is now, since the waves have since removed parts
of its coast line up in the North.

> > The Germanic language may in fact stem from Scandinavia,
> > since such a new language would need a certain incubation
> > time, or isolation, in order to develop independently
> > of neighboring languages. Probably in Sweden, since this was
> > a very rich country with many natural resources - and also
> > suitably isolated.
>

> That is possible, but not supported by the recent research of Prof.
> Udolph, or Swedish linguists like Dahl and Elert. Udolph has
> conducted a major study on the origin of the Germanic language,
which
> appeared as part of the special editions of Hoop's RGA. Dahl has
> written a study on the origin of Scandinavian languages, where he
> mainly supports Udolph's finding.  A good summary of the likely
> origin of the Germanic language is provided by H. Wolfram in 'Die
> Germanen'. A short exerpt can be found under this URL:
>
> http://www.geocities.com/loddfaf/germherk.html

Thanks for the pointer. I just read the article, and note
that he (Wolfram) quotes Tacitus concerning the Suebians
who are described as the oldest of the Germanic peoples.

To me it is in fact striking to see how similar
"Suebe" is to "Suede" (or "Svea" as they used to be called.)

Tacitus also mentions "Sviones" living somewhere in Sweden.
That seems like a name that belongs to the same group.

Cheers
Keth

Access Your PC from Anywhere
It's Easy. It's Fun. - Free Download.