[gothic-l] Germania, Germany, the Goths

Stephen Mark Carey smcarey at ARTSCI.WUSTL.EDU
Wed Mar 13 18:05:37 UTC 2002

Well - "tiutsch" is a hard thing to pin down --probably as
hard as pinning down the Goths --because they're all theodisce after all.

Even in this discussion we can see national bias comming out and
reminds one that it's hard to make a precise science out of mass
migrations in periods pre-dating record -- and all of these theories can
be subject to popular whim if one is not careful.

 -- but in general --  "germanic" is a signifier that has a signifee
that  is historically variable --in the M.A. it was anthing from the
Alsace to Hungary -- so it changes over time

-- of course, xigung's statement was  made in jest -- we all know that
when one speaks of Poland or Germany --  they are usually per
discursive necessity and economy referring to modern
borders. (I was going to follow it up by citing Asterix und die Goten for
scholarly support -- but fear I might get a serious response!.)

Stephen Mark Carey, Ph.D.
Department of German Studies
117 Trimble Hall
Emory University
Atlanta, GA 30322
(404) 727 0820

On Wed, 13 Mar 2002, Bertil Haggman wrote:

> First my apologies to the listowner for making
> these remarks off list subject comments.
>
> Isn't there a connection between Germania and
> Germany. Some admirers of the Roman empire
> and Germany see Karl I (800-814) as the successor
> of the last Roman emperor  Flavius Momyllus
> Romulus II Augustulus, who was deposed in 467 AD.
>
> Also Germania should maybe be linked to the
> Roman discovery of the Germani at some time
> during the first half of the first century BC.
>
> But maybe there is some mix up here. The writer
> could maybe refer to the creation of the modern
> Germany in the 19th century. We don't know.
>
> Bertil Haggman
>

> >Of course they did not come
> >from Germany. Germany did not
> >even exist at that time.

Access Your PC from Anywhere
Check Email & Transfer files - Free Download
http://us.click.yahoo.com/NxtVhB/3XkDAA/_ZuFAA/wWMplB/TM