[gothic-l] Eruli: The IE Etymology XII

Bertil Haggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Fri Mar 15 09:02:52 UTC 2002

Keth,

I think you would have to go back and read  all 12 contributions.
Then you would better understand. It goes back to
Jan de Vries'  two articles (1952,1954, which will be listed
in the second part of my selected bibliography from
Taylor). Basically it is the root *er- cognate going back
to Sanskrit aryah 'lord'.

The root would have two triplets of derivatives in Germanic,
each triplet dividing up these semantic 'functions' (in Dumézil's
sense) more or less precisely by suiffix ablaut. One of the three
in the first triplet set is *ermuna with Olc. Jormunr = name of Odinn, and
jormungandr = world serpent.

Erulically

Bertil

Well, in that case I think it is very simple :
A bull is a big animal. So is Jormungandr (w/ hooked-o)
and so is Irminsul.

How does this relate to the Heruls ?

May the Heruls brighten the waves !

FREE COLLEGE MONEY