[gothic-l] Eruli: The IE Etymology XII

keth at ONLINE.NO keth at ONLINE.NO
Fri Mar 15 18:22:40 UTC 2002

May the Heruls brighten your waves, Bertil !

What my original comment concerned was when you wrote:

>>Old Icelandic
>>jormuni 'ox,horse' had posed a problem for the old etymology:
>>it was traced to another root 'fit', and even *ermana-/*ermina-
>>*ermuna- was sometimes derived from this root and explained
>>as 'firmly joined, massive'...

I pointed out that "jormuni" (hooked-o) does not mean "ox"
or "horse", but that it is merely a poetic kenning for such,
and that it is in this form that it is listed in the Icelandic
sources - which you are no doubt quoting, albeit indirectly,
since you let it go through both Taylor and de Vries first.

>Keth,
>
>I think you would have to go back and read  all 12 contributions.
>Then you would better understand. It goes back to
>Jan de Vries'  two articles (1952,1954, which will be listed
>in the second part of my selected bibliography from
>Taylor). Basically it is the root *er- cognate going back
>to Sanskrit aryah 'lord'.

Well I have de Vries' books (1957, 1962), and he mentions no Heruls at
all in connection with these words. In fact, de Vries himself writes
Heruls with H, and so it is kind of incredible how you can quote
de Vries as source for Heruls without H.

De Vries writes (1957):
"Ambrosiani behauptet sogar dass die Odinsverehrung aus dem
römischen Kaiserskult stammen soll. Die auch von Helm verfochtene
Herulerhypothese ist nicht aufrecht zu halten."

>The root would have two triplets of derivatives in Germanic,
>each triplet dividing up these semantic 'functions' (in Dumézil's
>sense) more or less precisely by suiffix ablaut. One of the three
>in the first triplet set is *ermuna with Olc. Jormunr = name of Odinn, and
>jormungandr = world serpent.
>
>Erulically
>
>Bertil

e-lectronically