[gothic-l] Re: Digest Number 538

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Wed Mar 20 08:02:01 UTC 2002

>Of course the opinion is free, but it should be backed with some
>evidence or sources. All archaeologists agree on the fact that
>Oksywie and Wielbark are authochtonous cultures and I have no means
>to back up any objection to that.

Dirk,
I have difficulties with your interpretation of authochtonous.

I can agree that when the "Gothic league" was formed in say about
year zero it was formed by groups living in the area and in that
sense authochtonous for that century.

That does not mean that these groups have been there since the
beginning of times.

My point has always been that the supposed "emigration" from Gotland
took place about 300 BC.

The latest I showed about the gravefields in Gotland clearly supports
this idea.
They match the gravefields of the earlier Wielbark culture.

Tore

>  >
>>  In lack of historical written sources in other languages than
>Latin,
>>  Greek and Wulfilean writing I am of course not sure  but fairly
>>  convinced with respect to the use of kunja/kuni for the petty-
>kingdoms.
>

>I have no problem with that, yet I still think that the term reiks
>was used in Gothic/East Germanic from very early on, which is
>indicated by the fact that it was so widely used in personal names.
>
>cheers,
>Dirk

Access Your PC from Anywhere
It's Easy. It's Fun. - Free Download.