[gothic-l] Re: Digest Number 538

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Wed Mar 20 10:59:27 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., Tore Gannholm <tore.gannholm at s...> wrote:

> >Of course the opinion is free, but it should be backed with some
> >evidence or sources. All archaeologists agree on the fact that
> >Oksywie and Wielbark are authochtonous cultures and I have no means
> >to back up any objection to that.
>

> Dirk,
> I have difficulties with your interpretation of authochtonous.

Tore,

there is really not much of an interpration. Authochtonous means that
a material culture developed locally and was not imported from
somewhere else are composed of 'foreign' elements.

> I can agree that when the "Gothic league" was formed in say about
> year zero it was formed by groups living in the area and in that
> sense authochtonous for that century.

I don't think that you can extend an archaeological term
like 'authochtonous' to an ethnic term like 'Gothic league'.

> That does not mean that these groups have been there since the
> beginning of times.

The authochonous character of the Oksywie and Wielbark culture shows
that they have not received any significant migration or outside
influence, meaning that the Goths who definitely lived in that area
in around 0 AD will have been carriers of a local culture.

> My point has always been that the supposed "emigration" from
Gotland
> took place about 300 BC.

That is extremely early for any of the cultures in that area. It
obviously pre-dates the 'Gothic' Wielbark culture by some 300 years
and falls into a time when the Oksywie culture and early Przeworsk
culture were very similar. We have no evidence that Goths existed
that early and given the general development of Germanic tribes and
cultures, it seems unlikely that they did.

> The latest I showed about the gravefields in Gotland clearly
supports
> this idea.
> They match the gravefields of the earlier Wielbark culture.

How can they 'match the gravefield of the earlier Wielbark culture'?
They are by several centuries too early. The territory of the
Wielbark culture is completely identical with that of the Oksywie
culture. There is complete continuity in population and and in the
deveopment of cultural markers.

Access Your PC from Anywhere
It's Easy. It's Fast. - Free Download
http://us.click.yahoo.com/AxtVhB/6XkDAA/_ZuFAA/wWMplB/TM