[gothic-l] Re: Digest Number 538

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Wed Mar 20 12:34:00 UTC 2002

>Tore,
>
>there is really not much of an interpration. Authochtonous means that
>a material culture developed locally and was not imported from
>somewhere else are composed of 'foreign' elements.
>

>I don't think that you can extend an archaeological term
>like 'authochtonous' to an ethnic term like 'Gothic league'.
>

>The authochonous character of the Oksywie and Wielbark culture shows
>that they have not received any significant migration or outside
>influence, meaning that the Goths who definitely lived in that area
>in around 0 AD will have been carriers of a local culture.
>

>>  My point has always been that the supposed "emigration" from
>Gotland
>>  took place about 300 BC.
>>

>That is extremely early for any of the cultures in that area. It
>obviously pre-dates the 'Gothic' Wielbark culture by some 300 years
>and falls into a time when the Oksywie culture and early Przeworsk
>culture were very similar. We have no evidence that Goths existed
>that early and given the general development of Germanic tribes and
>cultures, it seems unlikely that they did.
>

>>  The latest I showed about the gravefields in Gotland clearly
>supports
>>  this idea.
>>  They match the gravefields of the earlier Wielbark culture.
>

>How can they 'match the gravefield of the earlier Wielbark culture'?
>They are by several centuries too early. The territory of the
>Wielbark culture is completely identical with that of the Oksywie
>culture. There is complete continuity in population and and in the
>deveopment of cultural markers.
>
>Dirk

Dirk,
There is nothing in your arguments that contradict my theory and what
you can read  in "Gothic connections" about the supposed emigration
from Gotland to the estern side of the Baltic about 300 BC. At the
time you are talking about they were of course authochonous.

The problem with your German sources is that these Germans are very
knowledgeable I don't think their command of the Swedish language is
so good that they have been able to analyze the Gotlandic archaeology
which differs very much from the Swedish one.
Most of the Gotlandic archaeological material is in Swedish.

Tore

FIND OLD SCHOOL FRIENDS and OLD FLAMES
Click here to start your search at Reunion.com today!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/NFsLKA/Dn2DAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM