[gothic-l]Germanic names

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Thu Mar 21 09:15:41 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., Ingemar Nordgren <ingemar.nordgren at e...> wrote:
> Dirk wrote:
>
> > I have no problem with that, yet I still think that the term
reiks
> > was used in Gothic/East Germanic from very early on, which is
> > indicated by the fact that it was so widely used in personal
names.

> Dear Dirk,
>
> I am sorry to disappoint you, but the fact is that names ending in -
rik
> are very common names in Scandinavia since very old times e.g.
Eirikr,
> Alrikr, Ulrikr - now Erik, Alrik, Ulrik. If these are Gothic - well
that
> means I have proved the Goths lived in Scandinavia (and still do).
You
> even find them at the Sparlösa rune-stone with the Gothic pictures.
>
> Kindly
> Ingemar

Dear Ingemar,

there is no dissappointment here. Firstly, you would have to tell us
when these names are first attested in Scandinavia. I would be very
supprised if any of these names predates say 300AD or even 400AD.
Secondly, The Sparloesa stone dates to the 8th century or so and does
not show any 'Gothic pictures'. Thirdly, names ending in 'ric'
or 'rich' are also very common in Germanic areas on the continent as
you known. Consider for example, the Frankish kings
Hilderic/Childeric (c 470AD), or the Suevian general Ricimer
(c460AD), or the Thuringian prince Baderich (c510AD) and many more.

The 'ric' ending is probably nothing specific Gothic, but was likely
first adopted by tribes that came in contact with Celts. From there
these names spread to other areas. In short, using these names as
proof for a Scandinavian origin of the Goths leads nowhere I am
afraid.

cheers,

Access Your PC from Anywhere
It's Easy. It's Fun. - Free Download.