[gothic-l]Germanic names

Ingemar Nordgren ingemar.nordgren at EBOX.TNINET.SE
Wed Mar 20 23:07:45 UTC 2002

Dirk wrote:

> I have no problem with that, yet I still think that the term reiks
> was used in Gothic/East Germanic from very early on, which is
> indicated by the fact that it was so widely used in personal names.

Dear Dirk,

I am sorry to disappoint you, but the fact is that names ending in -rik
are very common names in Scandinavia since very old times e.g. Eirikr,
Alrikr, Ulrikr - now Erik, Alrik, Ulrik. If these are Gothic - well that
means I have proved the Goths lived in Scandinavia (and still do). You
even find them at the Sparlösa rune-stone with the Gothic pictures.

Kindly
Ingemar

Access Your PC from Anywhere
It's Easy. It's Fun. - Free Download.