[gothic-l] Ablabius found!!

yeshua666 scatha at BIGPOND.COM
Wed Mar 20 21:05:30 UTC 2002

(Crossposted from Germanic-L)-

Any of you who read soc.history.medieval would be familiar with
Inger E. Johansson - a Swedish kook who likes to make wild claims
about her amazing research and then runs away when asked for evidence
(she claims people keep stealing her ideas - she also claims that
some of her posts in which she is caught telling lies are actually
forgeries.  We suspect she needs some professional help).

Anyway, her latest claim is that Jordanes' major source for his
*Getica* - Ablabius - is not lost at all:

"Ablabius isn't lost, his work still exist in two monestries I have
been told and also seen photocopies of(I will return to this later)
one on an island in Greece where only monks live and one in a monestry
on the border between Irac and Turkey.

The photocopies I have seen have the same text as exists in a Swedish
13th Century source, mostly forgotten.... Forntida Svenska legender
written by Pater Stephanus of Skänninge(Östergötland) where he
translated into Swedish information given by early historians. The
book still exists in one copy privately owned in Linköping. I saw it
once when my class and one of our teachers were allowed to see it in
1960's. I have photocopies of parts of it. In those copies special
information regarding Konstantin the Great's chapel in Arles and
Konstantin the Great's mother and Ablabius himself is
given."

What do you make of these claims?

Tim O'Neill

FIND OLD SCHOOL FRIENDS and OLD FLAMES
Click here to start your search at Reunion.com today!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/NFsLKA/Dn2DAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM