[gothic-l] Baltic cultures: was Re: Digest Number 538

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Thu Mar 21 18:28:34 UTC 2002

>Tore,
>
>he is obviously not considering the actual finds as history, but the
>reports and interpretations of the 1920s/30s and 40s are part of the
>history about the research on the Goths. These interpretations have
>to be seen in the context of the time in which they were made.

There is nothing wrong with the reports. The interpretating these one
has to compare with newer findings and judge what is speculations and
fact.

I also have examples where they have been proven right in the 20th
and 30th and the "new" research in the 60th and 70th have been proven
wrong.

>>  The monuments and archaeological finds are very
>>  much there.
>

>That is not surprising.

Gotland is the richest area in this part of the world. This proves
that Gotland for more than 2000 years was a commercial center in the
Baltic.

>>  Some have been stolen and sold to museums such as Berlin and >
>British museum.
>

>You mean the Berlin Museum buys stolen artefacts?;-)

Of course. Everybody does.
By Swedish law everything in the earth older than a certain time has
to be reported to the government and they reimburse it with the metal
value. Common stone axes you may keep.

We ketch every year some people illegally searching protected sites.

>>  The majority is still here. I can't see any other way than to
>compare
>>  what we have in Gotland with what the archaeologists find in Poland.
>>

>That is exactly what archaeologists like Hachmanna and Bierbrauer
>have done.

You need to read excavation reports which for Gotland is in Swedish.
It is only now we can use internet and when the objects will be
available on the web this will be much improved.

Hackman has had certain discussions with professor Nylén. Bierbauer I
don't know how familiar he is to the Gotlandic archaeological
material.

Also the articles by Nerman, Stenberger, Hansson etc are worth
reading. One must of course bear in mind to distiguish between their
presented facts and their speculations.

>>  Pottery is one way find out contacts. Here is one example:
>>
>>  The Otterböte pottery constitutes a vast material which has been
>>  re-analysed during recent years. In a dissertation at Stockholm
>>  University, Kenneth Gustavsson shows that most of the pottery found
>>  at Otterböte is imported.
>His thesis is strongly supported by an
>>  analysis of the ware as well as by an analysis of macro fossils
>>  present in the clay. The vessels were most probably manufactured in
>>  an area near the Baltic coast in present-day Poland.
>

>That is very interesting! Could it be that the Goths and other
>Wielbark people exported to Gotland? What is the timeframe of this
>Otterboete pottery? Is it a specific industry?
>
>Dirk

It is as far as I know end of the Bronze age and there is a two way
trade and Gotlandic settlements on the other side of the Baltic.

We have proof for Gotlandic settlements in a few places Bronze age,
Iron age and Vendel age.

In Grobin in Latvia Professor Nerman had diggings between the wars
and could distinguish Gotlandic settlements during the Bronze age and
later in the Vendel age. Another place where there are proven
Gotlandic settlements is Elblag or Truso.

Tore

FIND OLD SCHOOL FRIENDS and OLD FLAMES
Click here to start your search at Reunion.com today!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/NFsLKA/Dn2DAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM