[gothic-l] Re: Gothic Religious Ancestry

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Fri Mar 22 08:56:23 UTC 2002

>--- In gothic-l at y..., "ingemarn2000" <ingemar.nordgren at e...> wrote:
>>  --- In gothic-l at y..., keth at o... wrote:
>>

>>  > There was, I think, also a remark about Scandinavian
>>  > Weapon graves beginning in the Roman Age again at Bornholm.
>>  > Weapon graves then began to come to West Norway also in the
>>  > Roman Age. But apparently it wasn't possible to give a definite
>>  > date, since it wasn't a sudden appearance, but rather something
>>  > that happened over a certain period of time, so that it can
>>  > be called a gradual introduction.
>>
>>  Yes, the Roman time starts with the 1st c.AD so that is correct. The
>>  first weapongrave I know of is not until in the 3rd c.AD.
>

>Dear Ingemar,
>
>weapons graves start in Scandinavia in the latter part of the period
>A3, i.e. the younger pre-Roman Iron Age and become characteristic for
>the whole imperial Iron Age in Scandinavia. This is about the same
>time (A3) when the Oksywie culture in Pommerania abandons weapon
>graves and transforms into the Wielbark culture. In middle Germany,
>Mecklenburg and Denmark weapons graves start already in A1 and A2
>spreading from the Przeworsk culture northwards.
>
>cheers,
>Dirk

Dirk,
Which century are we talking about.
In the Gotlandic graves 150BC-BC there are plenty of weapons.

Tore

Access Your PC from Anywhere
Check Email & Transfer files - Free Download
http://us.click.yahoo.com/NxtVhB/3XkDAA/_ZuFAA/wWMplB/TM