[gothic-l] Re: Gothic Religious Ancestry

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Fri Mar 22 09:47:30 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., Tore Gannholm <tore.gannholm at s...> wrote:
> >--- In gothic-l at y..., "ingemarn2000" <ingemar.nordgren at e...> wrote:
> >>  --- In gothic-l at y..., keth at o... wrote:
> >>

> >>  > There was, I think, also a remark about Scandinavian
> >>  > Weapon graves beginning in the Roman Age again at Bornholm.
> >>  > Weapon graves then began to come to West Norway also in the
> >>  > Roman Age. But apparently it wasn't possible to give a
definite
> >>  > date, since it wasn't a sudden appearance, but rather
something
> >>  > that happened over a certain period of time, so that it can
> >>  > be called a gradual introduction.
> >>
> >>  Yes, the Roman time starts with the 1st c.AD so that is
correct. The
> >>  first weapongrave I know of is not until in the 3rd c.AD.
> >

> >Dear Ingemar,
> >
> >weapons graves start in Scandinavia in the latter part of the
period
> >A3, i.e. the younger pre-Roman Iron Age and become characteristic
for
> >the whole imperial Iron Age in Scandinavia. This is about the same
> >time (A3) when the Oksywie culture in Pommerania abandons weapon
> >graves and transforms into the Wielbark culture. In middle Germany,
> >Mecklenburg and Denmark weapons graves start already in A1 and A2
> >spreading from the Przeworsk culture northwards.
> >
> >cheers,
> >Dirk
>
> Dirk,
> Which century are we talking about.
> In the Gotlandic graves 150BC-BC there are plenty of weapons.
>
> Tore

Morning Tore,

This would clearly distinguish the Gotlandic burial custom from that
of the 'Gothic' Wielbark culture, which is characterised by the lack
of weapons-graves. The people in the two areas probably had different
views about the after life. However, 150BC seems very early for
weapons graves on Gotland. According to my sources the earliest and
northern most Iron Age weapons-grave appear in South Sweden in the
period A3, i.e. the younger pre-Roman iron age, but maybe they were
excluding Gotland.

Access Your PC from Anywhere
It's Easy. It's Fun. - Free Download.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/BxtVhB/7XkDAA/_ZuFAA/wWMplB/TM