[gothic-l] Re: Gothic Religious Ancestry

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Fri Mar 22 10:48:51 UTC 2002

>Morning Tore,
>
>This would clearly distinguish the Gotlandic burial custom from that
>of the 'Gothic' Wielbark culture, which is characterised by the lack
>of weapons-graves. The people in the two areas probably had different
>views about the after life. However, 150BC seems very early for
>weapons graves on Gotland. According to my sources the earliest and
>northern most Iron Age weapons-grave appear in South Sweden in the
>period A3, i.e. the younger pre-Roman iron age, but maybe they were
>excluding Gotland.
>
>Dirk

Dirk,
This is what I have tried to put through.

Gotland is always forgotten but so important.

When I started my research in 1990 and later wrote the Gotlandic
history I discovered that many things from the Swedish universities
about Gotland was not correct, mainly they were just silent about
Gotland. They bragged about that in Sweden they had so many silver
coins from the Roman and Viking era but nobody mentioned that 86% of
all Roman coins found in present day Sweden come from Gotland and 73%
of the arabian coins.(this has increased further after the very large
treasures found 4 years ago).

When they on Swedish television talk about these coins they mention
Birka in the next sentence,resulting in that everybody thinks the
coins have to do with Birka.

As Gotland was a trading nation there are various types of burial
coming and going.

In the Gutasaga written down about 1220 it says that the Gotlanders
tolerated all religions. This is necessary when you are making money
on trading.

Tore

Access Your PC from Anywhere
Check Email & Transfer files - Free Download
http://us.click.yahoo.com/NxtVhB/3XkDAA/_ZuFAA/wWMplB/TM