[gothic-l] Re: Digest Number 538

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Fri Mar 22 11:21:08 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., Tore Gannholm <tore.gannholm at s...> wrote:

> >Tore,
> >
> >what evidence do you have that the 'cultures associated with the
> >Goths' (i.e. Wielbark and later Chernyakhovsk) 'flowed back to
> >Gotland'? At what time did they 'flow' back to Gotland? Do you
think
> >these cultures came from Gotland? Where on Gotland are Wielbark or
> >Chernyakhovsk type settlements and/or cemetaries?
> >
> >Dirk
> >

> Dirk,
> You are playing with words. Why should these inventions from the
> Goths come first to Gotland?

Tore,

what inventions of the Goths are you now refering to that came to
Gotland first?

> There must have been some close relation.

I for one would not be surprised if there was contact between Gotland
and other places in Scandinavia and the Goths and other groups at the
south Baltic shores. The question is what was the nature of this
contact. Was there a big immigration? - probably not. Was there a
number of small migrations or better movements of small groups? I
think probably yes and probably even in both directions. Was there a
shift/transferal of some sort of a 'Gothic-tradition/identity' in
either direction? Again, I think probably yes.

Dirk

> Tore
> --

Access Your PC from Anywhere