[gothic-l] Re: Digest Number 538

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Fri Mar 22 14:44:03 UTC 2002

>Tore,
>
>what inventions of the Goths are you now refering to that came to
>Gotland first?
>

>>  There must have been some close relation.
>
>I for one would not be surprised if there was contact between Gotland
>and other places in Scandinavia and the Goths and other groups at the
>south Baltic shores. The question is what was the nature of this
>contact. Was there a big immigration? - probably not. Was there a
>number of small migrations or better movements of small groups? I
>think probably yes and probably even in both directions. Was there a
>shift/transferal of some sort of a 'Gothic-tradition/identity' in
>either direction? Again, I think probably yes.
>
>Dirk

Dirk,
We can only see in the archaeological material that the Gotlanders
very early adapted to new techniques considered invented by the
Goths. The filigree technique is such a thing. The Gotlandic contacts
were mainly south and eastwards. It is hard to talk about immigration
emigration when there is large movement of people mainly in trading
purposes. What we can see is that enormous treasures were horded in
Gotland.

The Gotlanders also  probably had a trading colony during the Bronze
age in Sweden close to Västervik which is just west from Gotland.

There are about 25 Gotlandic ship formed graves in stone.

Tore

Access Your PC from Anywhere
Check Email & Transfer files - Free Download
http://us.click.yahoo.com/NxtVhB/3XkDAA/_ZuFAA/wWMplB/TM