[gothic-l] Gothic Use of Steppe Nomad Warfare

Bertil Haggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Sat Mar 23 11:54:41 UTC 2002

Keth,

Yes, cavalry was important during the Crusades but
most crusaders walked to Jerusalem.

The Roman cavalry was too small in size. Taking
Adrianople as example the Gothic, Alan and Hun cavalry
were double the size of the Roman

The beginning importance also archery is well
demonstrated by the quote below from Amminius
on the death of Emperor Valens during the battle
of Adrianople and the aftermath:

"Some of our men fell without knowing who struck
them down, others were buried beneath the weight
of their assailants, and others were slain by the sword
of a comrade...At the first coming of darkness the
emperor, amid the common soldiers, fell mortally
wounded by an arrow, and presently breathed his last; and
he was never afterwards found anywhere. For since the foe
were active in robbing the dead, no one among the fugitives
or local inhabitants ventured to approach the spot."

There are several battles in which the Romans had very weak
cavalry, down to 500. Thisd id not bode well for the legions.

Gothically

Bertil

> We know of course how important cavalry was during the crusades.
>
> Also, the Romans had smaller horses than the later large
> cavalry horses. But of course Rome had cavalry.
> The word "chevalier" descends from from a Roman word for
> "horse".  (or Spanish "caballero")

Access Your PC from Anywhere
It's Easy. It's Fast. - Free Download
http://us.click.yahoo.com/AxtVhB/6XkDAA/_ZuFAA/wWMplB/TM