"cavalry" LANG: [gothic-l] WAS: Gothic Use of Steppe Nomad Warfare

keth at ONLINE.NO keth at ONLINE.NO
Sat Mar 23 12:15:43 UTC 2002

Hello Bertil,
you wrote:
>Cavalry was in the end a new weapon that contributed greatly
>to the downfall of the West Roman empire.

We know of course how important cavalry was during the crusades.

Also, the Romans had smaller horses than the later large
cavalry horses. But of course Rome had cavalry.
The word "chevalier" descends from from a Roman word for
"horse".  (or Spanish "caballero")

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
There have been few posts about the Gothic language lately.
I tried to find the Gothic word for horse. Well,  found
only the PN "Evarix".

The Romans had several words for horse. e.g. equus and caballus.
Cavalry was called "equites". Later, in the Middle Ages, it was
the other kind of horse that became the basis for "chivalry".

Interestingly, the presently known Gothic vocabulary has
*very* *few*   words that start with the letter E.
In fact, I can find only the following six :
ei, eisarn, enguz, Ermeniricus, eyz, ezec.
Of these 3 are rune names. Ermeniricus is also spelt Hermana=
ricus, e.g. in Jordanes.

Best Regards
Keth

Access Your PC from Anywhere
Check Email & Transfer files - Free Download
http://us.click.yahoo.com/NxtVhB/3XkDAA/_ZuFAA/wWMplB/TM