"cavalry" LANG: [gothic-l] WAS: Gothic Use of Steppe Nomad Warfare

M. Carver me at MATTHEWCARVER.COM
Sat Mar 23 22:31:54 UTC 2002

Keth-

I found a few words for horse:

aihvs mA, marhs mA; (~ with a blaze) bala mN; (young male ~, colt, foal) fula mN.

Of course the first is related to Latin equus which you mention.

There may have been more, of course, but I don't think there is much written
alluding to anything like *haursa- or *pard- or *higg(i)st- as found in Northern
and Western Gmc.

I found a few words beginning with E. Of course in Gothic, Gmc *e > i for the most part.
An exception is "aiththau", in which the first element is "ith" without the sound change.

ei, Partic. Cj
eis, Na
eisarn, Na
eisarnabandi, Fio [=eisarn]
eisarneins, Aa [=eisarn]
eithan, Cj [=ei]
emaitja, Fo ant
era, Fo? (< Lw. lat.)
erls, Ma man
et, Na
eta, Mn
ets, Ai

In the above, naturally "ei" is only a digraph for the "long i" sound, and as such should not
be counted. Otherwise, e is normally written with macron (= "long e").
If you included the sound of "short e" (represented "broken" by 'ai'?), you could include

-most transliterations of Greek beginning with ai (aiw-, aipi-, etc.; whether this was "broken"?)
-airzei, airzjan, airtha, etc. (words beginning with "broken" ai before -r- and another consonant)
-aiththau (as mentioned above)

Mat?aius

keth at online.no wrote:

   There have been few posts about the Gothic language lately.
   I tried to find the Gothic word for horse. Well,  found
   only the PN "Evarix".

   The Romans had several words for horse. e.g. equus and caballus.
   Cavalry was called "equites". Later, in the Middle Ages, it was
   the other kind of horse that became the basis for "chivalry".

   Interestingly, the presently known Gothic vocabulary has
   *very* *few*   words that start with the letter E.
   In fact, I can find only the following six :
   ei, eisarn, enguz, Ermeniricus, eyz, ezec.
   Of these 3 are rune names. Ermeniricus is also spelt Hermana=
   ricus, e.g. in Jordanes.

   Best Regards
   Keth

keth at online.no wrote:

> Hello Bertil,
> you wrote:
> >Cavalry was in the end a new weapon that contributed greatly
> >to the downfall of the West Roman empire.
>
> We know of course how important cavalry was during the crusades.
>
> Also, the Romans had smaller horses than the later large
> cavalry horses. But of course Rome had cavalry.
> The word "chevalier" descends from from a Roman word for
> "horse".  (or Spanish "caballero")
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> There have been few posts about the Gothic language lately.
> I tried to find the Gothic word for horse. Well,  found
> only the PN "Evarix".
>
> The Romans had several words for horse. e.g. equus and caballus.
> Cavalry was called "equites". Later, in the Middle Ages, it was
> the other kind of horse that became the basis for "chivalry".
>
> Interestingly, the presently known Gothic vocabulary has
> *very* *few*   words that start with the letter E.
> In fact, I can find only the following six :
> ei, eisarn, enguz, Ermeniricus, eyz, ezec.
> Of these 3 are rune names. Ermeniricus is also spelt Hermana=
> ricus, e.g. in Jordanes.
>
> Best Regards
> Keth

Access Your PC from Anywhere