Brockhaus on Cavalry: Re:[gothic-l] Sturm über Europa

keth at ONLINE.NO keth at ONLINE.NO
Wed Mar 27 22:23:16 UTC 2002

Well, considering that you wrote, quoting the "ZDF" channel:

>>>According to the editors Europe stands on the shoulders of:
>>>
>>>The Ostrogothic kingdom in Italy (Gothic migration from Scandinavia)
>>>The Visigothic kingdom of Spain (Gothic migration from Scandinavia)
>>>The Anglo-Saxon kingdoms of England (migration from Denmark or
>>>south of Denmark?)
>>>The Frankish kingdom of France

You say that both Italy and Spain, as well as France and England
stand "on the shoulders of Scandinavians". That would of necessity
make Scandinavia into a Giant, wouldn't it?

Well, I just thought it a bit comical, as if referring to
a cover for Thomas Hobbes.

>I think the well-researched program will be a fine
>addition to the video-collection on Gothic history,
>among other things.
>
>Will be happy to provide further information as
>soon as the 400-page accompanying volume
>is available. With the high quality advisers of the
>series I am in no doubt that these series will
>very much have a lasting value.

Does the manual come with the CD's, or has it to be purchased
separately? I agree that it might not be a bad investment.
I also enjoyed the (?)ZDF video series on the Huns.

>It is valuable to get the visual material. Cant imagine
>that anybody would be interested in purchasing Brockhaus
>when other fine encyclopedias are available. Don't think
>it would be worth the outlay.

What is in your opinion wrong with Brockhaus?
In my opinion it is both accurate as well as to the point.
And besides, it gives good references. If you had had access
to it, and read the article it has on "cavalry", you might in
fact have avoided a long and unnecessary discussion,
where Brockhaus briefly and concisely points to the facts:

"In der römischen Kaiserzeit wuchs die Bedeutung der Kavallerie
 kontinuirlich an, im 5. Jahrhundert nach Christus setzte
 sich schliesslich das römische Heer überwiegend aus berittenen
 Söldnern zusammen."

>Don't know about how common ZDF is in Norway. I have
>satellite reception.

Most people don't speak German very well.
When I went to school every one learned two languages
in primary and secondary school, which was English
and German (12 to 16 age group) and then French
came in the 16 to 18 age group. But now they only
teach two foreign languages, and that means many
never have any German in school any more. They say that
"German is out". And I guess there is some truth in that.
(every one is struggling to learn "Windows" and "Excel" instead)
But at least they write good encyclopedias,
and I think people are the poorer for it!

>Gothically
>
>Bertil

Well, shall I greet the Gothic King with
a "Brockhausian" greeting then?  :o)

Best regards
Keth

Buy Stock for $4.