Stone relief found: Re :X: [gothic-l] Re: Gothic Advantages

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Mon Mar 25 12:30:56 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., keth at o... wrote:
> Hi Dirk,
> I found the picture that I mention in my prevous post:
>
> keth at o.. wrote:
> >With regard to cavalry, I saw a photo of an eastern horserider
> >standing next to his horse - but right now I don't recall where
> >I saw it. I will look for it, because I thought it was interesting.
> >It was a kind of stone statue. It shows very clearly an example
> >of what kind of horses + gear the eastern horseriders of those
> >days had. Perhaps you know what statue I am referring to?
>
> It is in Wilfried Menghin "Die Langobarden", page 87.
> It shows a man with a long overcoat standing next to his horse.
> From this one may gain some idea of how one conceived of
> the relative size of the horse. From the representation
> it seems to me as if the horse depicted here is not a
> particularly small horse. It also has the appearance of
> being very muscular. Definitely a cold-blooded race, I'd say.

Hi Keth,

I have Menghin's book and will have a look at the picture tonight.
Thanks!

> [...]
> list that documents the photographs he has used. This
> means that I do not know where this stone relief may
> actually be found, nor what its estimated period is.
>
> But below I shall quote Menghin's legend to the photo
> of this stone relief:
>
> Abb. 77
> Darstellung eines Steppennomaden mit seinem aufgezäumten
> Pferd. Der Mann trägt über einem Lamellenpfanzer einen
> von einem metallbeschlagenen Gürtel zusammengehaltenen
> Kaputzenmantel. Die Füße stecken in tiefen Stiefeln.
> Den Kopf bedeckt einen (Filz-?)Kappe, das Haar ist zu
> Zöpfen geflochten. Am mehrteiligen Gürtel hängt an
> gesonderten Riemen rechts der Köcher mit Pfeilen, links
> der Säbel. Das Pferd ist mit einer Knebeltrense gesäumt,
> der Sattel mit eisernen Steigbügeln versehen. Die Tracht-
> details sind in den awarischen Bestattungen des Karpaten-
> beckens belegt. 6. Jh.
>
> He also writes at the beginning of his chapter on "Die Awaren",
> next to Abb. 77:
>
> Die Awaren
> Über die Frühzeit der Awaren ist archäologisch und
> historisch wenig bekannt. Sowohl die Deutung ihres
> Namens als auch die Frage ihrer Herkunft ist nicht
> eindeutig zu klären. 8) Nach den chinesischen, byzanti-
> nischen und arabischen Quellen gehören sie etnisch
> und kulturell zur westasiatischen Gruppe der Turk-
> völker und waren, gleich den Hunnen, Steppenno-
> maden. Die Verwandtschaft mit den Horden Attilas
> wird auch in den griechischen Chronographien 9) und
> bei den lateinischen Historiographen 10) immer wieder
> herausgestellt. Wahrscheinlich saßen sie ursprünglich
> im Altaigebiet oder im heutigen Westturkestan, von
> wo sie irgendwann im frühen 5.Jahrhundert nach
> Westen aufbrachen. 11)
>
> --------------------------
>  8) Kollautz-Miyakawa I, 138 ff. - Zu den schriftlichen
>     Quellen über die Awaren vgl. S. Szádeczky-Kardoss,
>     Ein Versuch zur Sammlung und chronologischen
>     Anordnung der Griechischen Quellen der Awarenge-
>     schichte nebst einer Auswahl der anderssprachigen
>     Quellen. Acta Antiqua Archaeologica 16 (Opuscula
>     Byzantina 1), Szeged 1972.
>  9) Johannes Malalas, Chronographia. In: Corpus Scrip-
>     torum Historiae Byzantinae, Bd. 19 (1831), 234.
> 10) PD I, 27: »...cum Avaribus primum Hunni...«
> 11) A. Avenarius, Die Awaren in Europa (1974), 37 ff.
>
> Then there is also the famous Silver bowl from the treasure
> of Isola Rizza, Venice. (Menghin Abb. 69, p. 79).
> The bottom medallion deppicts a Byzantine(?) lance rider
> in lamella armour and lamella helmet with feather bush,
> who "takes out" two foot-soldiers who are armed with
> shield and sword, and whose clothing is of Langobard type.
> The imagery has beeen dated to ca. 600 A.D. Raccolte Civiche,
> Verona.
>
> Menghin has made color redrawings of these metal rieliefs
> (Tafel 26, page 86). The figure caption says that the
> lance-rider wears "kurze - römische - Militärhosen.
> Die Füsse stehen in ledernen Steigbügeln."

Such an armour, complete with helmet has been found in an Alamannic
grave at Niederstotzig. If you have the dust-jacket of Menghin's
book, the helmet is presented on the cover. These types of lamellar
helmets and armour were certainly introduced by eastern steppe people
and adopted by Goths, Langobards and as we have seen Alamannians. The
book 'Die Alamannen' of the Landesmuseum Baden-Wuerttemberg, states
that the Frankish armies that campaigned in Italy at the time of the
Gothic war and thereafter were predominantely recruited from among
the Alamanni, who brought home a lot of objects that they acquired
during that period.

On the size of horses, you may know the Germanic horseman on the
stone of Hornhausen. It depicts a horseman, with lance and round
shild wearing a Vendel-type helmet. Here however, the horse is
overproportionally large.

cheers,

Buy Stock for $4.
No Minimums.