[gothic-l] Re: "air", "airis", þáim "airizam" jah þata "=?iso-8859-1?Q?j=E9r?="

M. Carver me at MATTHEWCARVER.COM
Mon Nov 4 04:48:03 UTC 2002

Hails

Ah to be sure, you are correct. It is the áir- of course, pronounced approx. like "ire". Koebler's system, I
neglected to notice, uses no marking for both ái- and ai, marking only aí. Of course the 'ai' usually only appears
before vowels, such as in 'saian', 'waian'. That's what I get for being in a hurry (they charge by the hour for
internet use).

-Matthaius

Grsartor at aol.com wrote:

> Hailai allai, ?ishun Konrad,
>
> about whether the Gothic words "jer" (year) and "air" (early) are related:
>
> I do not know, but Lehmann's Gothic dictionary states under "air" that it is
> "[not related] to jer (in spite of Noreen 1894:89)".
>
> I notice that Matt and I provided discordant information about the accenting
> of "air" and "airiza" etc. My statement, that it was given an editorial
> accent on the initial letter, was taken from what I have in a word-list that
> is on a website somewhere. It also agrees with Bennett's Introduction to the
> Gothic Language. But since Gothic writing itself did not indicate that there
> were different sounds represented by "ai", presumably the decision how to
> accent this combination is made by comparison with similar words in other
> languages. When disagreement between different sources of information occurs,
> I am in no position to argue one way or the other. Let others arbitrate.
>
> Gerry T.

Plan to Sell a Home?
http://us.click.yahoo.com/J2SnNA/y.lEAA/jd3IAA/wWMplB/TM