[gothic-l] Re: Saúrts/Surtr in phonological darkness or light?

Einar Birgisson einarbirg at YAHOO.COM
Mon Nov 4 18:57:04 UTC 2002

Blessadur Konrad.
Thanks to you for working on this. I will only admit that I am not in
the position to evaluate your hypothesis.
Best regards Einar.

--- In gothic-l at y..., "konrad_oddsson" <konrad_oddsson at y...> wrote:
> This message is for Troel, Bertil and Einar, who were previously
> discussing the name "Surtr" in connection with Gothic, and for
> anyone else with an interest in this topic. I find forms such
> as "Swartus" or "Swartw-" to be unlikely for the simple reason that
> Gothic phonology tends to have "aú" (ON."o") before "r". Whereas
> Norse shows both primitive "u" a "o" in positions before "r",
fourth
> century Gothic shows "aú"(compare N."þeir urðu", N."hann er
orðinn",
> N."urt" for Gothic "waúrts", N."orð" for Gothic "waúrd", "at yrkja"
> and "hann orti" for forms of Gothic "waúrkjan"). On the basis of
> this I am inclined to regard the form "Saúrts" as more likely for
> Gothic. Also, a simple adjectival form like "black/dark" would
> probably be confusing to even native speakers of a language -
> sentences like "Black is coming soon" would be vague. Compare also
> the fact that the name is "Surtr" in Norse, while the adjective
> "svartr" is so common as to be in daily use in Scandinavian tongues
> today. "Saúrts" would be declined: N. Saúrts, A. Saúrt, D. Saúrta,
> G. Saúrtis. Compare also that the Norse verb for to "grow
black/dark
> is "sortna", again showing that Norse can have "o" (Gothic aú) as
> well as "u" in positions where we would expect only "aú" before "r"
> in fourth century Gothic.
>
> I would like to know your thoughts and responses to "Saúrts" as the
> Gothic name for the firey enemy of the divine ones.
>
> Regards,
> Konrad.

Sell a Home for Top $
http://us.click.yahoo.com/RrPZMC/jTmEAA/jd3IAA/wWMplB/TM