[gothic-l] Namó Saúrtis jah namna funis

M. Carver me at MATTHEWCARVER.COM
Wed Nov 6 18:15:49 UTC 2002

Hails

BTW re: the subject line: the gen. sg. of fon 'fire' is funins.

The main question concerning the vowels in s-rt- "black" is one of ablaut-gradation, ex. number 3 in section 61of
Gordon's grammar. ON shows this in svartr - Surtr. These belongs to gradation 3 (i.e. that of the strong verbs of
the 3rd conj.), which occurs before certain consonants: Gmc: eC - aC - uC, oC. In ON this shows that the adj. is the
second part, and the proper name the third part (with W+U > U assim., which occurs generally in Gmc.), which are in
verbs reserved for preterite sg. and pret. pl. (or pret. participle) respectively. In Gothic these forms should
regularly appear in the verb wairthan: [wairth-] - warth - waurthun (waurthan-); so also, we postulate the adj.
gradation thus, eliminating the first part which neither occurs in ON or Go. [swairt-] - swart- - saurt-*. *This
last form has: swurt- with [U+R breaking] and [W+U > U assim.], wherefore *Saurts. For W+U > U assim. in Gothic, see
Wright  ss146. If there was a strong relationship felt with 'swart-' however, it is possible that the older
theoretical form with -w- would have been retained: *Swaurts: cf. swultum beside swiltan, qumum beside qiman.