[gothic-l] Re: Pronounciation

ravichaudhary2000 Ravi9 at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Nov 12 21:45:44 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., "Francisc Czobor" <fericzobor at y...> wrote:

 So, the "g" of "Gothi" and that
of "Getae" originally designated obviously the same sound,
respectively the voiced velar occlusive consonant (the English "hard
g", as in go, get, give, etc.).

 This is demonstrated by the fact that
the Latin letter G was used to transcribe the Greek letter gamma
(BTW, in Greek Gothi is "Gótthoi", and Getae is "Gétai", according to
Hermann Menge's big Greek-German dictionary; and it is sure that the
Romans took the word "Getae" from the Greeks).

Ravi > OK, they took it from the greeks, who knew the Getae.

According to Carlo Tagliavini ("Le origini delle lingue neolatine"),
the palatalization of Latin G before E and I (resulting "j" like in
English, later in some Romance languages French "j") was parallel to
that of C, that is attested beginning with the 3rd century.

Ravi> here is my confusion, Could you clarify, if you do not mind.

Are you saying the the G in the para above was  pronounced with the J
as in John sound  from the 3rd century.

Send me a personal E mail if you wish!

 I would very much to see this point cleared up for myself.It is
important in some lines of inquiry I have

Ravi