[gothic-l] Re: Pronounciation

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Thu Nov 7 08:40:09 UTC 2002

Hails!

Sorry for my delayed answer, but there were some problems with the
Internet connection in the last days. So, the "g" of "Gothi" and that
of "Getae" originally designated obviously the same sound,
respectively the voiced velar occlusive consonant (the English "hard
g", as in go, get, give, etc.). This is demonstrated by the fact that
the Latin letter G was used to transcribe the Greek letter gamma
(BTW, in Greek Gothi is "Gótthoi", and Getae is "Gétai", according to
Hermann Menge's big Greek-German dictionary; and it is sure that the
Romans took the word "Getae" from the Greeks).
According to Carlo Tagliavini ("Le origini delle lingue neolatine"),
the palatalization of Latin G before E and I (resulting "j" like in
English, later in some Romance languages French "j") was parallel to
that of C, that is attested beginning with the 3rd century. However,
the palatalization of G is attested only from the 6th century, and
for St. Augustine (354-430 AD), the Latin "lege" was pronounced like
the Greek "lége" ("Cum dico "lege" in his duabus syllabis aliud
Graecus, aliud Latinus intellegit", Doctr. Christ. 2, 24, 37).

Francisc