[gothic-l] Re: Pronounciation

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Thu Nov 14 16:49:06 UTC 2002

Dear Ravi,

roughly speaking, you did understand it correctly, with the remark
that the "j" sound (like in English "job" etc.) appeared earlier, no
later than the 5/6th century.
It was not a sudden change, but an evolution conditionned by the
palatal nature of the following vowel (e or i), something like:
g > gy > dy > dj > j
The first stage was probably achieved in classical Latin time
(already before 0 AD), fact demonstrated by some phonetic changes in
classical Latin:
Arhaic Latin helu > Classical Latin holu
but celu and gelu remain unchanged (without the evolution e>o
before "l"), that proves the palatal nature of g and c before e
(pronounced probably at that time like gy, respectively ky).
However at that time the "gy" sound was only a slightly palatalized
[g] and was not perceived as something different from normal "g".

Francisc