[gothic-l] Re: Pronounciation

george knysh gknysh at YAHOO.COM
Thu Nov 14 15:57:17 UTC 2002

--- ravichaudhary2000 <Ravi9 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Ravi>> Let me see if I understand this.
>
> In or about the 5th century BC ,there are a people,
> whom if ones
> reads an English translation of Herodotus( in the
> 21century i.e.
> today), is written as " Getae"
>
> In the 4th century St Augustine, sees this  with the
> G sound  as  in
> Greek or Go.
>
> In the 7th/8th century, the J sound appears.
>
> The G sound has  changed to J.
>
> The pronunciation of `Getae' is today `Jota.' Or
> `Jotah', the J
> sound !
>

> Do I understand this correctly?
>

> Thanks for the patience:
>
> Ravi
>
> *****GK: The Getae disappeared from history sometime
during the 2nd c. AD. Subsequently the name had a
purely literary significance. AFAIK it was never
pronounced as a "J". The Greek sound was permanentized
in the literature.*****

http://webhosting.yahoo.com

Share the magic of Harry Potter with Yahoo! Messenger
http://us.click.yahoo.com/4Q_cgB/JmBFAA/46VHAA/wWMplB/TM