[gothic-l] Gothic word for wicca, and wicce

Le Bateman LeBateman at NETZERO.NET
Fri Nov 15 03:05:42 UTC 2002

How can wicca be related to witan. I must have missed something
somewhere. Unless wi is considered the root. I  definitely need to get John
Clark-Hall's Anglo-Saxon Dictionary. Or Bosworth's. Anyway Thank you
Le
----- Original Message -----
From: "M. Carver" <me at matthewcarver.com>
To: <gothic-l at yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Thursday, November 14, 2002 3:24 AM
Subject: Re: [gothic-l] Gothic word for wicca, and wicce

Hails Le

There is no extant cognate for OE'wicce' or 'wicca' to my knowledge, unless
you accept a reconstruction according to
what is often proposed as the derivation, i.e. from the verb 'witan' "to
know" > OE witega 'prophet, seer', as well
as OIc vitka = ? Go *witika or witeiga, though often thought to be from
something like LGmc *wikanan or *wekjanan
"to bend, crook" (> **wikja) Something used with a similar meaning to
'witch' is, perhaps, *haljoruna, *haljaruna.

-matthew

Grimm has suggested *walakusjo for valkyrie.

Le Bateman wrote:

>   I would like to know the Gothic word for wicca, and wicce and any proto
> Gothic word, and  what the root is and the sources for this please. Also
the
> definition as well. Someone from another list told me it meant wisdom. I
had
> seen
> a definition to bend or to  twist. Also just curious  in Wulfstan's
Address

to <gothic-l-unsubscribe at egroups.com>.

You are a member of the Gothic-L list.  To unsubscribe, send a blank email
to <gothic-l-unsubscribe at egroups.com>.

Share the magic of Harry Potter with Yahoo! Messenger
http://us.click.yahoo.com/4Q_cgB/JmBFAA/46VHAA/wWMplB/TM