[gothic-l] Thanks Francisc !! Anyone going to Valhalla? Any trees there?

gunnerwold gunnerwold at YAHOO.COM
Fri Nov 15 03:40:21 UTC 2002

Thanks Francisc!
What you said really helped me out. I remember reading somewhere
that my name meant lord of battle, but then battle-army makes sense
too. I like my name a lot even though I´m a pacifist! It´s a part of
history. Hey, I was wondering what Valhalla is in Gothic. Does
anyone know if the Goths said Valhalla? How about Odin and Frigg?
Since that´s where the Goths are now that they´re dead, it would be
fun to be able to pronounce it right just in case I end up there
when I´m dead. Hey, you never know! It would be embarassing to not
know the name of the king and queen too. Maybe they let pacifists
stand on the sidelines during the final battle. I´d be happy just
taking care of the trees if there are any.

Gunner

> Welcome, Gunner!
>
> Your name is the same as the Scandinavian Gunnar? In this case, it
is originally identical with the German name Günther, a figure of
the Niebelungen story. This was in fact a historical person, known
as Gundahar or Gundicharius, king of the Burgundians, killed in a
battle against the Huns in 436 AD. Thus, the name is Burgundian, not
Gothic, that represents in fact no big difference. At that time, the
Germanic languages were not very differentiated, and Gothic and
Burgundian, as idioms spoken by East Germanic tribes, where probably
still mutually intelligible. The name is composed of the old
Germanic roots *gundhi- "battle, war" (Old Icelandic: gunnr, later:
guthr, Old High German: gund) and *harja- "army" (Gothic: harjis,
Old Icelandic: herr, Old English: here, Old High German: heri,
Modern German: Heer, Swedish: här) thus in Gothic your name would be
*Gundiharjis or *Gunthiharjis.

> Francisc
>

> --- In gothic-l at y..., "gunnerwold" <gunnerwold at y...> wrote:
> > Hello everyone. I'm a new member with questions. I'm trying to
> learn Gothic but am having some problems figuring out what my name
would be in Gothic. I'm pretty sure it exists because I read
somewhere that it was Gothic. I also want to learn as many words for
trees as I can because I'm very into nature and work in forestry.
Can anyone help with these questions? Your help would be
appreciated. Thanks.