[gothic-l] Re: Gothic word for wicca, and wicce

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Thu Nov 14 16:30:57 UTC 2002

According to "Webster's New World College Dictionary on PowerCD", the
ethymology is:
witch < ME wicche < OE wicce, fem. of wicca "sorcerer", akin to MDu
wicken "to use magic" < IE base *weik- "to separate" (hence "set
aside for religious worship") > Go weihs "holy", OE wig "idol".
Personally, I don't believe very much in this ethymology.

Francisc

--- In gothic-l at y..., "Le Bateman" <LeBateman at N...> wrote:
>   I would like to know the Gothic word for wicca, and wicce and any
proto
> Gothic word, and  what the root is and the sources for this please.
Also the
> definition as well. Someone from another list told me it meant
wisdom. I had
> seen
> a definition to bend or to  twist. Also just curious  in Wulfstan's
Address