[gothic-l] Gothic word for wicca, and wicce

Aaron Holt Holtingar at CCIS.NET
Mon Nov 18 21:59:52 UTC 2002

Hello Hello!

<<M. Carver Wrote.
The word seems to use the third part of the ablaut gradation here (iu - au - u), which is why Grimm postulated
*walakusjo, similar to the way runjo "course" is related to rinnan "to run", or numja "taker" to niman "to take", or
for that matter (using a s2 verb for example) drus to driusan. It is clear that the ON valkyrja also uses the third
part of the gradation (with i-mutation), and not the first part, which would have resulted in something like ON
*valky'rja (with lengthened y).>>

    Akh! I agree with this, I found the same thing in my own notes! It seems that I don't even listen to myself!

<<I wonder about the correctness of PGmc *wikkjaz "necromancer" [< waker] (for also cf. ON vitki 'wizard', vitka
'bewitch' - are these analogical emendations?). Watkins only says Germanic, not PGmc, though it should be the latter
because of the absence of Sievers. Z-dele. only affects -s-az or -z-az, otherwise there is Z-devoi. It seems Go.
*wikkis should require a LGmc *wikkes. Allow me to suggest Gmc. *wikkjaz > *wikkijaz > EG *wikkijz + Sievers reflex
> Go. *wikkeis /wikki|s/ (not *wikkjis, because of the long foot stem). Want to attempt the feminine?>>

    Watkins, In his preface to the IED. States that the forms are PrGmc. but has turnicated the name to simply "Germanic" in his entries.
    I wonder myself about the corectness of such a form, however, there seems to be little room for cross-referencing as that particular word usage is only attested in OE (to my knowledge) the etym. was something like "Necromancer" < one who wakes the dead) < (waker), I must admit that I believe this is Watkins' assertion rather than expository semantic reference since aside from OE... well, you know the rest.
My claim for Z-Deletion was drawn from J. Voyles' "Early Germanic Grammar" He seems to break Devoicing and Deletion into two sub-categories of one Z-Deletion rule. I probably should have been more specific and thourough in my reconstruction, I don't entirely understand Sievers Law the ablaut rule, I am self-taught so it's a hard to get past those trouble spots when they arise. (I went to Art School as a Graphic Design major, whie Germanic and IE studies heve been a hobby since High School)
    Also, why the geminated k's in Wikkjaz? I thought that this was a characteristic of the daughter languages.  What's more, Watkins also has PrGmc. reconstructions like Huzdam "horde" and Gumo|n "man" elswhere I have seen Huzda and Gumo|, why the final nasals? is this a difference from Proto-Germanic to Germanic? I am in a jam when it comes to Proto-Germanic Forms, I can't find a good resource anywhere.

    I would be delighted to try the feminine, I'll do my research and send the mesage when I can get back to my computer.

-Aaron