[gothic-l] Re: the Thuringians

Andreas Schwarcz andreas.schwarcz at UNIVIE.AC.AT
Fri Nov 15 11:57:34 UTC 2002

Dear Dirk,
generally I agree with your synthesis of Gothic-Thuringian relations, but not with the
relative chronology of the marriage between Herminafred and Amalaberga and the
destruction of the Herulic kingdom and the datation of both events. As I showed in my
essay

Der Nordadria- und Westbalkanraum im 6. Jahrhundert zwischen Goten und
Byzantinern. In: Slowenien und die Nachbarländer zwischen Antike und Karolingischer
Epoche, ed. Rajko Bratoz. 2 vols., Ljubljana 2000, vol.1, pp.59-70, esp.pp.65.f.,

a close analysis of Cassiodorus, Variae. IV, 1-3, enables us to put the marriage and an
embassy to the king of the Heruli with rich gifts before September Ist, 509, when
Theodoric's envoy Senarius was promoted to the post of Comes patrimonii. Both
embassies and the Thuringian marriage must be put into the context of Theodoric's
war with the Franks, the Burgundians and Byzantium on behalf of the Visigoths and his
diplomatic efforts to secure support for his counterattack over the Alps into Gaul in 508
and be dated accordingly to 508. The defeat of the Heruli preceded Theodoric's peace
with the emperor Anastasius in 510 and must be dated into the second half of 509.
Kind regards
                     Andreas

Ao.Univ.Prof.Dr.Andreas Schwarcz
Institut für österreichische Geschichtsforschung
Universität Wien
Dr.Karl Lueger-Ring 1
A-1010 Wien
Österreich
Tel.0043/1/42-77/272-16
Fax 0043/142-77/92-72

Share the magic of Harry Potter with Yahoo! Messenger
http://us.click.yahoo.com/4Q_cgB/JmBFAA/46VHAA/wWMplB/TM