[gothic-l] Re: the Thuringians

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Wed Nov 20 16:31:04 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., "Andreas Schwarcz" <andreas.schwarcz at u...>
wrote:
> On 20 Nov 2002 at 8:27, faltin2001 wrote:
>

> > Ok, that means that the rise in the importance of the Thuringians
in
> > the alliance system of Theoderic was not the result of the defeat
of
> > the Heruls. Instead, Theoderic seemed to have persued a policy of
> > building alliances with various peoples north of the Alps in
> > parallel.
> >

> Dear Dirk, that is what he did. He married himself Clovis's sister
Audofleda soon after
> Odoacer's death, when Clovis himself married the Burgundian
princess Chrodehildis,
> and  gave his daughter Thiudugotho in marriage to Alaric II., king
of the Visisgoths
> (probably 493/94). Her sister Ostrogotho married 496 the Burgundian
heir to the throne
> Sigismund, with whom she had already been affianced in 490.
Theodoric's sister
> Amalafrida married Thrasamund, king of the Vandals, around 500. See
for this
> Wolfram, Die Goten, 306 f.

Yes, a complicated and probably in part fragile system of marital
alliances. I wonder if these alliances reflect different 'statuses'
of the various kingdoms. Hence, the Franks were the most powerful
threat to the Ostrogoths. Hence, Theoderic himself would enter a
marriage alliance with Clodewig's daughter to ensure stability. Other
female relatives were married off to less powerful kings that were
either already supportive (Thuringians, Visigoths) or at least
potential allies (Burgundians, Vandals). Peoples like the Alamanni
and the 'emerging' Bavarians were not included in this system of
marital alliances because they were still insignificant (Bavarians)
and/or weakened without central royal leadership (Alamanni), but at
any rate already under some form of Ostrogothic protectorate. The
relationship with the Heruls seems to stand out, because the link
with the Heruls was strengthened by making Rodulf, the king of the
Heruls, son-in-arms of Theoderic. I wonder if that was a special
honour for a significant ally or if it was a lesser degree of honour,
or if this had simply practical reasons - i.e. Rodulf already
married, no female relative left?

best regards

Share the magic of Harry Potter with Yahoo! Messenger
http://us.click.yahoo.com/4Q_cgB/JmBFAA/46VHAA/wWMplB/TM